Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Reflection 1: Living a Holy Life

Today is the first day of my journey of "Growing With Purpose" (book written by Jon Walker). He says that to live a holy life is a reasonable request because God is the one who initiates our cleansing and "it is God, not [our] efforts, who makes [us] holy" (Walker, 2009, p.13).

This makes me wonder, what is holy anyway? Is it a state? Is it a goal? or is it the journey?

I came across Addison Road's song today, titled "What Do I Know of Holy?".
The words goes like this:

I made You promises a thousand times
I tried to hear from Heaven
But I talked the whole time
I think I made You too small
I never feared You at all No
If You touched my face would I know You?
Looked into my eyes could I behold You?

(CHORUS)
What do I know of You who spoke me into motion?
Where have I even stood, but the shore along Your ocean?
Are You fire? Are You fury? Are You sacred? Are You beautiful?
What do I know? What do I know of Holy?

I guess I thought that I had figured You out
I knew all the stories and I learned to talk about
How You were mighty to save
Those were only empty words on a page
Then I caught a glimpse of who You might be
The slightest hint of You brought me down to my knees

God is Holy - I know that with my mind.
But, do I know that with my heart? Do I really say that with my heart?
Do I really proclaim that holiness in my life? Do I have a desire to be like Him?
After all, Christians are followers of Christ - with a goal to be like Him.
How far behind am I on this journey?

Today is the first day of my journey. With little time aside everyday, I am determined to stop living a comfortable life and start moving forward to grow with purpose.

It's not my goal to answer questions. It is my desire to take a step out of my comfort zone and explore my weaknesses one by one. For me, the journey starts with realization that I have no clue at all about the holiness of God. I know it in my mind and I can argue about it, but I have no clue of how deep it really mean. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment