Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Funny little thing called FAITH


One of the big topic for the last couple days of devotion seems to spin around this little and powerful thing called faith.
What is faith anyway?

Religious people sees it as the key of their belief
Rationalist calls it (quoted from my favorite TV series, "Bones") "an irrational belief in something that is logically impossible"
Marxism argues it to be "the opiate of the people"
And for most of us, we tend to treat it as an encouraging word when nothing else seems to work.

What is Faith anyway?

The bible describes faith as "being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" (Hebrews 11:1). This definition didn't make a lot of sense to me before. I used to like this sentence just because it sounds smart and intelligent but I didn't really understand what it means. Lately, it started to click together for me.

For me, faith is a conviction of the heart of what we believe in. While we can try to convince ourselves by saying that we believe, our heart knows the truth in us. The key is not about knowing or saying that we believe, the key is to convince our heart. That's why in Mark 9:24 we got a statement such as "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!".

No comments:

Post a Comment