Thursday, December 10, 2009

Look at Things Above?

I have been watching the TED for last couple of days and learned so much about new technology. I'm quite impressed that they make the presentation available for everyone to see. One of the presentation talks about perception.

The presenter gives an illustration that when we look down to our feet, our range of perception is very limited. Yes, we can still walk and it's fine, but we would not be able to prepare ourselves against possible danger that might come.

When we start to raise our head, then our range of view will expand which gives us a better chance to survive since we can see the danger that might come from in front of us and helps us to relate to those around us.

However, our lives is not just about surviving, but about improving and enjoying life. That's why, from time to time, we want to lift our head up and see things slightly above us. That way, we can enjoy the sky and make attempt to improve the qualities of our lives.

The presenter then jokingly warns that while want to be able to look up, we need to be careful to know when to stop. If we continue to look up and up, we would eventually lose sight of everything and can only look at view directly above us. He says that it's "God". He then jokingly says that "God is the answer when there is no answer" (it's more like a mockery statement rather than a belief statement).

While people laughed and found it funny, I personally found it ironic because I really believe it's true and no other people has put it in a better word than the person who doesn't believe in it. (Please note I do NOT know his background belief and all my arguments are based on my perception of him). Yes, it might seem funny, but this is the key of my belief. In fact, without regularly 'looking up', I don't think I could survive in this confusing world. Without 'looking up', I wouldn't even know where to go. Quite opposite to the presenter, I find 'looking up' is the key to look forward in life.

In one of the devotion, Walker quotes Colossians 3:2 as the Bible verse which says, "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things". I do believe that this is the key to walk our Christian lives. After all, our home is not on earth but it's in heaven.



Please note that I do NOT own these pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment